An attraction for lovers of foreign cultures
The castle complex which is situated on a prehistoric site was built around 1278 by Hugo von Montalban. In 1368, it got into the possession of the Starkenberg family and after several different owners, it was finally bought by the Sinkmoser family in 1540. This period was the heyday of the castle. It then got into the hands of the Hendl family who sold it to farmer Josef Blaas in 1813. The castle became dilapidated. In 1913, it was bought by the Dutch colonial master William Rowland who renovated the castle exemplarily.
Since 1983, it has been the residence of Reinhold Messner and it houses several art collections: a vast Tibetan collection, a mountain picture gallery and a mask collection from five continents.
The Unterortl wine-growing estate and the Oberortl organic farm whose home-grown products are offered at the Schlosswirt restaurant both belong to the complex and are therefore part of a general concept aiming at the preservation and revival of this small South Tyrolean cultural landscape.